- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 zucchini, grated
- 30 g sunflower seeds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Vegan cashew mayo
- 100 g cashews, soaked for 10 minutes in boiling water, drained and water discarded
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 4 burger buns, halved and toasted
- handful lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced lengthways
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- handful sprouts of your choice
- lemon wedges, to squeeze
1. Prepare a barbecue / plancha / pan to grill the burgers over medium-high heat.
2. For the burger patties, place all of the ingredients – except the zucchini, sunflower seeds and seasoning – in a blender and blitz until just smooth. Remove from blender and stir in the grated zucchini and sunflower seeds. Season well to taste.
3. Divide the burger mixture into 4 and shape into patties. Grill until slightly charred, 3 – 4 minutes.
4. For the vegan cashew mayo, place all of the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Season to taste.
5. To assemble the burgers, place a dollop of mayo on each burger-bun half. Top with some lettuce, a patty, avocado slices, tomato slices, red onion slices and sprouts. Close the burgers and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.