- 1⁄2 small eggplant, whole, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 1 medium zucchini, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 1 medium summer squash, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 3 medium Roma tomato, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 8 brussels sprouts, cleaned and ends trimmed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 stalks asparagus, tops and first two inches diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 450 g Italian sausage (salsiccia)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 450 g tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbs oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 125 ml milk with 125 ml cream, combined
- 75 g Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1–2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 175° C. Fit KitchenAid® 7 cup Food Processor with slicing blade, attach lid, and secure in place, turn unit on high and feed eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, roma tomatoes, and brussel sprouts into feed tube and use food pusher to slice all vegetables. Keep brussel sprouts separated, put in two separate medium bowls and set aside. Fit KitchenAid® 7 cup Food Processor with shredding blade and shred mozzarella cheese on low, set aside.
2. Heat a sauté pan and add sausage, cook thoroughly, and remove from pan.
3. Add olive oil to a sauté pan. Put the red onion, asparagus and minced garlic along with the brussels sprouts into the pan and cook on medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to vegetables and add wine to deglaze. Add tomato sauce, cream, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook down until most of the liquid has reduced to half, about 15 minutes.
4. To assemble, put Italian sausage mixture in bottom of a heavy round casserole dish. Starting from the outside layer eggplant, zucchini, summer squash and tomatoes in a circular pattern over sausage mixture. Cover vegetables with cheese and bake for 20 minutes.