For the marinated artichoke hearts
- 6 artichoke hearts (use frozen artichoke hearts)
- 1 part white wine vinegar
- 1 part sunflower, olive or avocado oil
- Sliced garlic, rosemary, chilli seeds, mustard seeds or capers, according to your preference
For the hummus
- 400 g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 pita breads
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 handful of fresh watercress or rocket leaves
- Avocado oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Make enough marinade to cover the artichokes, consisting of 1 part white wine vinegar to 1 part sunflower, olive or avocado oil. Add a generous amount of sliced garlic, rosemary, chilli seeds, mustard seeds or capers, according to your preference. Marinate defrosted artichoke hearts in this mixture for at least 24 hours. They will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
2. For the hummus, combine all the ingredients in a food processor except for the oil and seasoning.
3. Blend until smooth and slowly add the oil, blending continuously until well incorporated. Season and thin with a little water if the mixture is too thick.
4. Heat a griddle pan until hot and toast the pita breads until crispy and golden on both sides.
5. Spread the pita breads generously with the hummus and top with artichokes, onion, sesame seeds and watercress. Drizzle with a little oil andadjust seasoning before serving.