- 1⁄2 White cabbage
- 2-3 thick floury potatoes, peeled
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 40 g smoked bacon, diced
- Parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon goose fat or butter
1. Cut the 1⁄2 white cabbage in half again. Remove the stalks and wash the leaves well.
Boil the cabbage leaves in unsalted water and drain the water after 5 minutes. Pour new water into the pot, so that the cabbage is covered about 3cm. This time salt the water as soon as it boils.
2. Roughly dice the potatoes and chop the garlic. Add both to the cabbage in the pot and cook until the potatoes are soft. Drain the water and season the mixture with pepper and nutmeg.
3. In the meantime, fry the bacon cubes in some goose fat or butter and add them together with the frying fat to the cabbage-potato mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and mix everything well (it is best to mash it with a potato masher).
4. Serve the Kabesmatsch hot as a side dish or evening meal.