For the chai cake
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp chai tea powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
For the mascarpone buttercream
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8oz (a bit less then 250 g) mascarpone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 175°C and prepare two round cake tins (Ø 12 cm) by lightly greasing and flouring the sides and bottom.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, oil and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time while stirring.
3. In a different bowl, whisk together flour, baking pow- der and chai powder. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter and sugar mixture until well combined.
4. Evenly divide batter into your prepared cake tins and bake on 175°C for approx. 30 minutes or until a tooth- pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
1. Add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar to a large bowl and mix.
2. Add the mascarpone cheese to the whipped cream and whip until stiff peaks form.
3. Place one layer of cake onto a cake board or a plate. Top with buttercream and spread evenly.
4. Place the second layer on top and spread frosting evenly to the top and the sides of the cake. Place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes, then add decoration.